Due to anticipated cases of the influenza virus and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) in the community, and for the safety of our patients, families and staff at CHOC Hospital, we will be implementing visitor restrictions from Jan. 6, 2014 to March 30, 2014 (these dates may change due to early or late circulation of virus).
Please communicate the following guidelines to your staff, as well as your patients and families being admitted to CHOC:
• Only two parents/guardians who are well will be permitted to visit during Jan. 6 – March 30, 2014.
• For hospitalizations extending beyond two weeks, parents may complete a visitor restriction exemption form, listing two surrogate names. This form will be provided by your CHOC nurse, who will assist you in completing it.
• The use of masks, gowns and gloves will be enforced as appropriate. Proper hand washing is necessary each time you enter and exit your child’s room.
• Patients in isolation and their parents/guardians will not be allowed to enter the playrooms or visit other patient rooms. Child life specialists have activities that can be brought to the isolation rooms.
• When your child is visiting public areas in the hospital (given approval from your child’s physician and nurse), please remember to use good hand hygiene and stay 3 feet away from others.
In addition, all physicians visiting a patient at CHOC will need to show proof of influenza vaccination or will be required to wear a surgical mask. For physicians who have privileges at CHOC and have a CHOC ID badge, the 2013-2014 green flu sticker on your badge will be sufficient proof.
Thank you in advance for your valued partnership and support in helping us to protect the well being and safety of the children and families we serve.