The opening of Orange County’s first and only completely pediatric emergency department is the final link in strengthening the region’s pediatric safety net. The 22,000-square-foot Julia and George Argyros Emergency Department at CHOC Children’s Hospital offers world-class pediatric emergency medical care. Board-certified pediatric emergency medicine physicians and specially trained nurses provide rapid triage, diagnosis and treatment within the safest, most technologically advanced environment available.
The new emergency department also offers patient- and family-centered care, including Child Life Services intended to mitigate pain and anxiety for our young patients. Even our larger-than-usual exam rooms have been specifically designed to accommodate family members and strollers.
Open since late March, CHOC’s emergency department has:
• Three triage suites and 31 treatment rooms, with the capacity to add more.
• Quick and easy access to pediatric surgical, pathology, imaging and laboratory services located inside The Bill Holmes Tower, in addition to enhanced family amenities.
• Four ambulance bays and two rooftop heliports (one on each tower).
Expect to see familiar faces inside the new emergency department. Emergency Medical Specialists of Orange County (EMSOC) continues to provide board-certified pediatric emergency medicine physician coverage around the clock.
“EMSOC has been taking care of CHOC children for over 36 years —about 32.5 million children during that time,” said James Pierog, M.D., medical director of emergency services at CHOC. “Our experience in managing patients is excellent and the reputation of our group is outstanding.”
For more information, contact Dr. Pierog or Dr. Lilit Minasyan, assistant medical director, EMSOC at (714) 543-8911.
5 Tips To Know
1) Calling Ahead For Patients
If you are directing a family to drive over to the new emergency department, please call (714) 509-9095. You will be immediately transferred to an ED nurse or physician to facilitate the information and transport.
2) Arranging For 24-Hour CHOC Emergency Transport Services
To arrange an immediate transport from your office, please call (714) 509-5324.
3) Accessing ED Test Results, X-Rays
All physicians may access this information through the hospital’s Cerner Information Network.
• CHOC Medical Staff: Please contact the CHOC Help Desk at (714) 509-4457.
• Non-CHOC Medical Staff: Please contact CHOC Business Development at (714) 509-4363.
4) Retrieving ED Visit Reports — Upon receipt of parental consent, this information will be automatically forwarded to your office.
5) CHOC Help Desk — Call any time you need assistance accessing electronic records at (714) 509-4457.